Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative launched Operation Round Up® in 2001. Operation Round Up is a community support program where participating members "round up" their monthly power bill to the next dollar, with the difference going to support a variety of charitable, educational, community and youth related programs and events.
The community support program enables member-owners to raise money for their local community by allowing the Cooperative to simply "round up" electric bills to the next highest dollar. The monthly contribution could be as little as 1 cent, but never more than 99 cents, with the average donation per member being $6 per year. The $6/year may seem like a small amount, take that amount times the Cooperative's 12,700 accounts - A little Change can Change a Lot!
The Iowa Lakes Electric Member-Owners Charitable Foundation oversees the Operation Round Up funds. The Foundation is a separate entity with its own board consisting of member-owners of the Cooperative, governed by a set of bylaws. The Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative's Board of Directors appoints one director from each of the eight counties it serves.
The current Foundation Board Members include:
- Robert Beneke, Palmer
- John Boettcher, Spirit Lake
- Ruth Brown, Ruthven
- Janet Deim, Swea City
- Dan Sievers, Storm Lake
- Jarrett Smith, Spencer
- Lynn Winterhof, Aurelia
The Foundation Board will meet quarterly to evaluate the applications for funds and approve money for those that are accepted. Grants are issued only to nonprofits dedicated to improving the quality of life in our region. Individual grants are awarded on a case-by-case basis for emergencies and self-sufficiency needs.
Member-owners who wish not to participate in the Operation Round Up program must notify the office at 800-225-4532 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Operation Round Up rounds each member's bill to the next whole dollar amount.
- The donations are tax deductible and your monthly billing statement shows your year-to-date contributions to serve as your receipt for the previous year's contribution.
- The money will be used to support charitable causes and nonprofit community services and programs throughout our local communities.
- An independent board made up of Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative member-owners, selected from each county, to review applications for the Foundation and select how and to whom the money will be distributed.
- Participation is voluntary. Members are automatically placed into the program but can choose to withdraw at any time.
- Foundation Board is governed by a set of bylaws.
If you are an individual or organization that is in need of monetary assistance, please fill out the online form below. The application will be reviewed by the Foundation Board. To ensure timely processing, please fill out the form completely. This form should only be used by those wishing to apply for assistance for an organization or agency.
The information contained in this statement is for the purpose of obtaining funding from the ILEC Operation Round Up program on behalf of the undersigned. Each undersigned understands that the information provided herein is used in the decision to grant funding, and each undersigned represents and warrants that the information provided is true and complete and that the ILEC Operation Round Up program may consider this statement as continuing to be true and correct until a written notice of a change is provided. The ILEC Operation Round Up program is authorized to make all inquires deemed necessary to verify the accuracy of the statements made herein.