At Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative, nothing is more important to us than your safety and our linemen's safety.
Top 10 list of electrical safety tips:
- Call Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative immediately if you see an electrical hazard. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day. Call us at 800-225-4532.
- Have a family plan outlining what to do in case of electrical emergency. For example, call 911 for injuries or electrical fires, and stay away from downed power lines.
- Read and follow all safety instructions that come with appliances you purchase and use.
- Follow safety procedures if your equipment or vehicle comes in contact with a power line, including: 1) try to drive out from under it if you can or 2) stay in place and have someone call for help immediately or 3) if you must leave the vehicle: jump clear without making contact with the ground and vehicle at the same time.
- Install and repair electrical outlets and appliances using precautions and safety measures, including shutting off power (and testing to be sure power is off), safety equipment and tools, and/or hiring a licensed electrician to do the job.
- Plant trees at least 30 feet away from power lines so the tree won't eventually grow into the lines.
- Do not attempt to remove items (fallen tree branches, kites, etc.) from power lines.
- Never attempt to move or raise electric lines; instead call Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative at 800-225-4532 for assistance.
- Be aware of power line locations when moving farm equipment and know what to do if you come in contact with lines.
- Keep all objects (ladders, farm equipment) at least 10 feet away from power lines.
Visit SafeElectricity.org for more information on electrical safety.
Grain Bin Clearances
Communicate EARLY with Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative for a safe and cost effective new grain bin.
Iowa One Call - Call 811 Before You Dig
Call 811 at least 48 hours prior to digging to have your underground lines located. It's free.
Safety Information and Resources
Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative makes safety our #1 priority. We provide electrical safety tips to help keep you and your...
Heartland Security is owned by Iowa Lakes Electric Cooperative and 13 other cooperatives. Heartland Security is here to protect you...
12 Holiday Safety Tips
12 holiday safety tips to help make sure your holidays don't go from merry to scary.